A blog about fibre, wine, and all things cozy.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1UP 2kcbwday2

I've been struggling with this entry. How do you make the skills that you've learned interesting to read about. And, then while I was working on a shawl for my Nan, it struck me.  I've done steeking. 


 That's right, I have learned how to purposely cut up my knitting. Even worse, I learned how to steek when I was brutally hung over. (Vodka is very , very bad and should never be consumed. Apparently 3 martinis are all it takes and believe me, not worth the cost of admission.) So there I was in my steeking class with my BFF and the owner of the store and my friend Glenna from Knitting to Stay Sane who is really a Steeking Queen, still going through withdrawl and not sure that I could see straight let alone take a pair of scissors to my colour-work. (Thankfully, we had Mimosa to go with the yummy breakfast food we had all brought with us. Hair of the dog was a really good thing that morning.) And then a pair of scissors are thrust into my hands and I was forced to cut up my own knitting. 
Arm Hole after steeking


 I wanted to throw up, for more than one reason. So I took a deep breath and cut. And you know what? My knitting did not explode into a tangled unravelled mess. It stayed right were I put it. It really stayed. I was shocked and thrilled and learned that there is great value in being able to steek your work. I learned how to steek with a crocheted edge and how to make a seam with a sewing machine. I learned how to make arm holes and most importantly, learned that steeking wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it was going to be.

Arm hole before steeking
Will I ever start using this technique in my day to day knitting? Probably not. Am I really happy that I learned a skill that I found super challenging and frankly downright terrifying? One Hundred percent. I recommend that at least once you give it a try. It's worth the effort. Just for the love of God, stay the hell away from the vodka before you do.   

6 comments:

  1. WOW that sounds terrifying. Glad it worked out for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really brave of you; I don't get it,or felting either :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. steeking seems such a clever idea and I know that in principle it works, I have just never faced the possibility of doing it - and that makes me glad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is it that almost all steeking stories involve fortifying oneself with alcohol? Loving the idea of a mimosa for breakfast..

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are BRAVE, learning to steek on a hangover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steeking is something I want to try. Once. At least. But I thought you were supposed to have the drink *after* cutting the steek, not before!

    ReplyDelete